For fossickers, campers and explorers this trail is a true Bathurst adventure. Taking you from the historic heart of the Bathurst gold rush from Hill End across the Macquarie/Wambuul river and into the Ophir recreation reserve where some of the earliest payable gold finds were discovered. This track will take you 1 hour 15 min to 1 hour 45 min to complete, it is an easy trail that can be completed by beginner drivers. This trail requires a shallow water crossing at Dixons Long Point crossing which is also a great spot to stop for a fish, swim or picnic if you come prepared.
1. Start this trail in Hill End 1 hour and 15 minutes from Bathurst.
2. Head north from Hill End on the Hill End Road, for 5.7km minutes until you reach the left hand turn for Ullamalla Road.
3. Continue 22km on Ullamalla Road until you reach the Macquarie/Wambuul River.
4. Cross the river at Dixions Long Point crossing. and continue up the road until you get to the junction of Long Point road.
5. U turn left onto Longpoint Road and continue for 14 km.
6. Turn left onto Oaky Lane.
7. Continue for 9km and turn left onto Ophir Road.
8. Continue on Ophir Road into Lower Lewis Ponds Road.
9. Follow Lower Lewis Ponds Road until you reach the Ophir Reserve camping area.